Like I said, I've read the Book of Mormon before. During that process, I marked verses I liked, stories that spoke to me in some way, and ideas that inspired other ideas. It's helpful for browsing, but moreso: it's a record of what I thought was important at that time--of who I was, spiritually.
Now that I've decided to read it again and take my time, I want to get a new copy of the Book so that I am not swayed by my previous inclinations and so, later, I can have a record of now. Besides, the free copies the Church gives away are smaller than my Triple, so I can read it on the bus or in the park or wherever. I like books that fit into my back pocket.
There's an issue, though. I know of three ways to get a copy of the Book of Mormon. First, I could call or email an LDS friend and have them send me one. Problem: (a) I don't want to waste their time and money and (b) I don't really want them to know I'm reading it because it creates expectations.
Second, I could walk into the Church and ask them for one. The building is half a block out of my way on my walk home--it'd be real easy to pop in and say hey. But, yeah, that seems kinda awkward; besides, I'm not sure the building is open during the day, though I think it is.
Third, I could get the missionaries to bring me a copy ordered via the web. It's their job, I know, but I feel like I'd just be wasting their time since I won't end up doing what they will want me to do (at least in the short term). They'll show up and they'll ask me questions and I'll have to explain since I don't like being misunderstood and...
I do like missionaries, generally: I've met some great ones in my time. And...some not-so-great ones. I'm at the point were I doubt they can really give me much new information. The best I could possibly hope for would be that inviting them into my home would also invite the spirit. But, from experience, that's a real dicey reason.
I'll probably do it anyway, because I'm kind of a bastard. I'll offer to make them dinner or something so I don't feel so bad about taking up their time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment